Friday, November 4, 2011

Dengue scare

After the trick or treating activities this past week, I noticed last November 1 that my son is feeling a little bit under the weather.  Early morning of November 2, I checked his temperature and it read 39 degrees! I was alarmed.  I am not the type of mom that can keep her calm during stressful situations.  A lot of things came to my mind.  I was so scared it was dengue fever.  Can it be that he was bitten during one of the events that we attended? First thing in the morning, we went to his pediatrician.  Urine and blood tests were done in order to rile out dengue fever or typhoid.  Thank God his platelet count was normal.  The culprit was Urinary Tract Infection.  He had this when he was 3 months old, and this is the second time he got this.  Salty foods are now banned on his diet, and replaced with lots and lots of water.  I had a little trouble giving him antibiotics.  He was never a sickly kid, so he is not used to drinking meds except for his regular vitamins.  My heart is crying whenever I see him gag the medicine because of its bitter taste.  However, I need to put my game face on and force him to drink.  All the while explaining to him that it would make him feel better.  To make it worse, he also had an asthma attack that night.  My son was diagnosed with bronchial asthma at 3 years old.  I am praying everyday that he will outgrow it.

I didn't have the heart to be with him during the blood extraction at the hospital.  It was done twice with a 24-hour interval since the first platelet count was 154.  The doctor requested another one done after a day just in case it goes down.  The second result was 245, which is good!


No comments:

Post a Comment